Friday 29 May 2015

Planking For Strength

Have you planked yet?

This is an exercise that has been gaining momentum over the last few years. It's tough, I won't lie to you, you can shake and wobble on your first, or even your twenty-first attempt, at it!

Planking is about building up your core muscles. I consider myself relatively strong in my core, as I did ballet training for 8 or 9 years when I was at school, and since then I've always held my core muscles when standing, walking or even sitting!

BUT, my first plank wasn't for very long before I shook, wobbled and had to fall to the ground! I think my wobbles started at around 30 seconds of holding! I can now hold for a minute (I only plank about once a fortnight, nowhere as often as I could do this!)

Your goal for your first plank could be 30seconds, and aim to increase this time to 2 minutes.

If you can already hold for 2 minutes, try adding difficulty to the plank movement. I'll explain.

In order to do a plank, lie in the position you would assume to do a push-up, now, instead of pushing up, lie on your forearms, so effectively, you are resting your body weight on your toes and your forearms, now hold this position. For as long as you can!

If you can't manage this, start with blended knees, just as you would with push-ups.

If you find this easy, holding for 2 minutes, then try a couple of these to make it harder!


  1. Lift one leg off the ground and hold
  2. Place your forearms onto a ball, stabilising will create the extra work
Good luck


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me your story too